Thursday, November 10, 2011

Home Sweet Hospital!

That is the theme for our week!  And why you ask?!  Good question!!!  Their names are Maggie and Lucy!

This past weekend Maggie woke Saturday night with a "seal bark" cough... Ya know, Croup type stuff!  Normally doesn't bother us, we are pretty used to this stuff by now!  But by Sunday evening she hadn't gotten any better and actually started saying her chest was now hurting.  Daddy said it was time for Urgent Care.  Away we went thinking she would get a breathing treatment and we would be home before "The Amazing Race" and definitely before "The Good Wife" started.  Apparently she was a little worse off then originally anticipated...

the steroid breathing treatment didn't work, so Nate stepped into an ambulance for the 1st time in 5 years.  This time his own little girl was the patient....

Maggie can kinda be seen in the left window.  Nate's arm (in his green Celtics Long Sleeve shirt) can sort of be seen reaching to her.

Upon our arrival to Palomar Hospital, she was admitted and given more treatments.  Still no improvement.  Ambulance ride #2 all the way to Children's Hospital accompanied by the Critical Care Team was our reality.  By now it is 11:30pm and has started raining cats and dogs and thundering and lightning.  The first time I started crying really hard was when my baby girl and her daddy and the ambulance they were in, turned south and I turned north to go home without them.  Whoa!!  Hardest. Thing. EVER!

Nate said she was given a breathing treatment every 2 hours with steroids throughout the night.  By morning things were looking better, but every time she fell asleep, the croup and stridor (simply means noisy breathing. It is usually caused by a narrowing in a child's upper airway, and makes it sooo hard to get enough air!  SCARY!) came back...  The doctor said she had to stay for more treatments AND another night!!

 Maggie and Nate are obviously both EXHAUSTED!!!

She woke-up long enough to enjoy a visit from Bailey and Will and of course Oma, Grandma Lisa and Aunt Lexie.  They spelled us for about an hour so we could eat dinner.  By the time we returned from the cafeteria, she had found her pacifier and her grandma's lap.  She fell asleep!  Maggie was also blessed by both her Grandpas!  Grandpa Bill and Dave also came to see how the little one was fairing!

I stayed with Mags the 2nd night.  I need Nate at the top of his game for this weekend!!!  By the 2nd morning all that remained was a little cough.  But man oh man!  Have you ever tried to keep a 2 year old, that is hooked up to a bunch or different monitors AND who is feeling MUCH better, corralled to about a 6 foot radius?!  Nearly impossible!  And oh yeah... Her appetite had returned....

 Two bowls of cereal, two pancakes, 2 slices of bacon and many bites of mommy and daddy's breakfast burrito.  That's our girl!

So as I type this, we are all hustling and bustling around the house, doing all those last minute things that need to get done before Lucy arrives.  Tomorrow Nate and I will be up at about 5am, to prepare to welcome Lucy into the world at 7:30.  Then it will be at least 2 more nights in the hospital for mommy and daddy!  The next time I blog, should include a picture of our family of 6!!

Come visit us!!!!


  1. NO wonder I had you so heavily on my mind this last week. I love you and will continue praying for you all as you get ready to meet your littlest love. Blessings. And I miss you.

  2. So glad Maggie is ok but wow sounds so scary! I will be praying that everything goes smoothly in the hospital tomorrow and that you are blessed with a healthy baby girl! Can't wait to see pictures of your newest addition! xoxo