When it was just my bride and I, our goals focused around losing weight, saving money for a house and how many children we wanted to have by certain age milestones. All good things, but just the surface. As our family has grown, our goal/resolutions have grown also. We have gotten very systematic and intentional about planning our year, and now do the brunt of it in August (seems logical to us since we are homeschooling) and re-visit them in January (the semester!), as kind of a “How is all this working for us? Are we on track at all?!” point of the year. Our lives have 5 distinct circles that we do all our planning in and around. They are Family, Business/homeschool (for my wife), Financial, Personal and Spiritual. We still think about our weight and saving money, but we have realized how enriched our lives have become when we put pen to paper and focus on what really matters!!
Recently I discovered our very first attempt at goal setting, as a married couple. We wrote this November 4th, 2003. We had only been married a tad less than 6 months. Lets take a trip down memory lane, shall we... The red are explanations or asides or just finding the funny in all this!
1) To have a daily “quiet time” for Nov & Dec.
2) To have a couple “quiet time” 3 times a week for Nov & Dec.
1) To tithe 5% for Nov & Dec.
2) To have daily “quiet time” for Nov & Dec.
Holy cow! If we were finding it hard to have quiet time when we had no kids...!!
1) To obtain 1 more letter of recommendation by Jan. He did!!
|EMT Turner for the City of Escondido Fire Department|
1) To obtain BA by Feb. Sorry Uncle Jeff! It will happen!!
2) To be a F/T teacher by Jan 2005. Irony is funny!
1) To be debt-free by 2006. Ummm... yeah... about that! How about 2012!!! This is our year!
2) To make 50k/yr by 2005. I am pretty sure he did that!
1) To spend less than $20/mo for lunches.
2) To have electric bill less than $35/mo for Nov & Dec.
We are pretty bare bones when it comes to our bills and groceries now-a-days... we are on target!
1) To vacuum 2 times/wk Nov & Dec. Still can't wrap my head around this one!!
2) To rid house and dog of fleas by Dec. Same fleas, different dog!
|Still miss my buddy, Zeke!|